TEC Service Software Version Compatibility
The TEC Service Software has a version compatbility restriction in place that will only allow it to connect to controllers that are on a firmware version number within a tenth of the version number of the TEC Service Software.
This restriction is in place because certain controls of the software are only compatible with specific firmware versions and the software can currently not dynamically adjust these controls based on the firmware version of the connected controller.
|TEC Service Software Version||Compatible Firmware Versions|
|3.11||3.10 - 3.19|
|5.00||5.00 - 5.09|
|5.01||5.00 - 5.09|
Please follow the following steps to update the firmware of a TEC controller:
- If necessary, download the latest Software package from our Download-Section.
- Read the latest TEC Controller Software Release Notes to learn about the firmware changes and any important notices.
- Backup the current configuration by clicking on the "Export Config" button in the bottom-right corner of the TEC Service Software. This is important because it is possible (although unlikely) that the current configuration will be lost during the update.
- In the tab "Maintenance" of the TEC Service Software locate the "Device Boot Loader" section.
- If the .msi installation package has been used, the correct firmware .hex file should already be selected. Otherwise, click on the "Browse" button and choose the new .hex file.
- Click on the "Update" button to start the update process.
- The TEC Controller will reboot once the update has completed.
- You can check the firmware version in the tab "Monitor".
- If necessary, re-import the previously exported configuration .ini file.
- Fill in any missing parameter values into new parameter fields (if required).
Firmware Update Error: Unspecified Error (Flags: 0x8)
Most often this error will appear when the user tries to update their controller with a firmware that uses the new encryption mechanism, which was introduced with v5.00. This happens because the controller does not have a required cryptographic key installed to be able to install the firmware. For example, any update attempt from a firmware version below v5.00 to a version equal or higher to v5.00 will result in this error being thrown by the TEC Service Software during the firmware update attempt.
- To be able to install the latest firmware version on the device, a cryptographic key needs to be first installed on the device itself. This can only be done by Meerstetter Engineering in-house.
You can choose to send your device back to Meerstetter Engineering to perform the installation of the key and the update of the controller.
- If you do not require your device to be on the latest firmware version, you can download an older version of the TEC Service Software that is still compatible with the firmware version your device is currently on from the Customer Center > Downloads > Software > Archived Software > TEC-Family Software Packages section on our website.
- We can update your device remotely up to the latest version of the firmware before the new encryption was introduced, which is v4.20. Unfortunately, we are no longer able to distribute the firmware files for any firmware older than v5.00, which is why we need to perform the update to an older firmware ourselves.